Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Walk

Today was day one of the Weekend to End Women's Cancers, but the only day I had signed up for. Thanks to all of you who supported me in this event!  The 33km were tough, but I made it. 1,114 people walked and together raised $2.7million.  A year ago they used some of the money to buy the two mobile mammography trailers, which bring mammograms to numerous Alberta towns that do not have the facilities that we have in the city.  All of the money stays in Alberta to support cancer funding, so it's something we can all benefit from. 

8:00am - Opening Ceremonies.  It's a little emotional, and I don't want to talk to anyone about cancer today.  We start walking at 8:10am.

Edworthy Park.  I'm on a roll, averaging 5.6km/hr.  By 10km, I have my first blisters ever in my Asolos.  I think the rest will be painful.

Memorial Drive.  This girl was pulled alongside me for some distance.  She kept singing to herself and playing with her doll.  It was soothing.

Lots of bras to be seen all day.  Can't get much more Canadian than a bra on a hockey stick.  It was amazing to see the spirit of so many people, many of whom were sitting out in their front yards.  Kids drew on the sidewalks with chalk, made posters, had lemonade stands.  Those smiles keep you walking.

Not every man would have the guts to drive this!

Yard art in Crescent Heights.  This was around the 23km mark, and by this point I've forgotten about my feet, while the heat gets to me. It was above 30ÂșC all day and I start feeling a little light-headed.  Some people left garden hoses out for people to cool off, kids handed out Freezes, and coolers with ice cubs were in very high demand.  Bags of ice saved me for the rest.

Fancy house in Crescent Heights.

Cool playground near 10th Street.  Around the 26km mark I slow down and lots of people start passing me.  All day it felt as if all of a sudden this was back to a 'normal' day.  I didn't worry about my mom, just lived in the moment.  The last 500m were very slow and painful, but I made it. 
   
Finish Line!  3:30pm.  I can barely walk anymore.

Cancer tree.  You could write notes and hang them up on it.

I had my post-walk meatballs that they gave us, but I'm craving a big steak.  I've done my exercise for the day; now it's time to sit back and relax and enjoy the gorgeous sun.

Update from July 25: This morning MW e-mailed me a photo of a bandana she attached to her backpack yesterday in support of the walk.  It's the spirit that counts :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park