I've never been a fan of 17th Avenue (Red Mile, party avenue or whatever you want to call it). Driving there is a bitch at the best of times as the road is narrow and pedestrians just wander wherever they feel like, especially the drunk ones during hokcey games or on a warm summer evening. I remember one night a couple of years ago - I think it was the first time that I actually drove down it - being completely amazed: it was a Friday night, and apparently it's when the boys show off their toys. I don't even know what the cars are, but I was speechless that this was happening in Calgary. You know, the type of fancy cars where the doors even open upwards? My approach there is always to look the other way as they'd probably just want their cars to be admired. Pretend you don't even see the thing. Today I had some time on my hands and coming from the SW figured I'd go for a drive all the way down 17th. It was dusk, so still fairly light out, but all the signs and lights started coming on. With the darker sky it would have made for a great photography outing and I think I'll go back for one soon. I discovered a lot of hidden spots that have potential for some great abstract shots: old brick, poorly spelled signs, people dressed like pimps, fireplaces along the sidewalk, and various neon. Throw in some people watching and you can kill some time on a little photography assignment.

No comments:
Post a Comment