11:50pm - I was up earlier again today. We had breakfast in Canmore (buns with homemade strawberry jam), then headed to Compassionate Beauty for my mom's wig appointment. I don't know what it was about this place, but when I stopped by there briefly last week, I had a good feeling about it. I talked to C., gave her a description of what my mom wanted, then e-mailed her a few photos, and today we had a perfect match. I hadn't seen the wig last week as it just got in a couple of days ago, so just trusted them. Whew. My mom loves it because it looks like she just got back from the hairdresser, and you just put it on without really having to do the hair. I guess that's about the only thing good about cancer - instant good hair days. Much to my surprise, my mom also went for a scarf. I had gotten her a cap from the Canadian Cancer Society last week, but didn't tell her about it until today, so left it on the table in Canmore for her to decide whether she likes it or not. The appointment at TB ended up being nothing more than a follow-up after the first chemo. We were surprised to see Dr. E.B. again. She's exactly my age and has been a help to us as she's always looked at this as something that could have happened to her mom. She'd call me when my mom didn't want to explain things to me, and she'd get back to me when I had questions. Once she said I should have become a doctor because they need people who are organized.
Speaking of organized, I spent some quality 'me time' by revisiting my hiking/scrambling/ biking spreadsheet. I needed to do that to set myself dates for events to look forward to, things to challenge me and make me feel like I'm achieving something. Some of my priority hikes/scrambles that I've been wanting to do plain scare me right now, not because of technical difficulty, but because I've been feeling that since I've been emotionally drained I've seriously slowed down on my outdoor events. Normally I'd be totally fine gaining 300m of elevation in an hour; now half that is enough to make me feel tired. Castle Mountain is most likely scrapped for this summer - no way am I doing a 28km hike with 1,400m of elevation gain. Then again, I'm crazy enough to leave Middle Sister (22km with 1,400m of elevation gain) on there, maybe because we look up at it all the time from Canmore. Next up: Shadow Lake, Red Ridge & Sparrowhawk Tarns, Mount Allan & Centennial Ridge, and Sherbrooke Lake & Niles Meadows.
Food for thought:
The world can't weigh you down when you're standing on top of it.
More positives from today and to look forward to over the next few days:
- Solo bike tour down Elbow, Jumpingpound, or Sibbald (once it stops raining!)
- YouTube Amazon rainforest relaxation music - something about this is just soothing
- Watched the neighbour's kid running down the corridor - very sweet!
- Sixth night without sleeping pills
- Getting a massage tomorrow?
- Gtting slim jeans tomorrow?
- Heading out for my first bike 'n' hike on Saturday (photogenic lake with a bit of snow in background)
- Heading out on wildflower photography outing on Sunday (need to apply some Wiggett skills)
- Heading out for summer solstice hike on Monday with a whole new group of people (tentative right now)


1 comment:
Thank you for sharing your positive outlook as it is reminding me to appreciate even the little things in life!
Post a Comment