1:14pm - I'm heading out for a while. I'm also thinking about looking for a photographer to at least get some pictures of myself for my mom.
10:15pm - It's been a fairly uneventful day as far as news goes. A priest woman stopped by my mom's room to give her communion, which she hasn't had in years. She sounded happy about it. Tomorrow Dr. R., the cancer psychologist, is supposed to stop by. Everyone speaks highly of him. I wonder if he'll be there when I'm around as I'm curious what he'd have to say. These people never tell patients when they'll show up though, so it could be at 6:30 in the morning, or 10 at night.... or any time inbetween.
I got most of the non-prescription stuff that my mom will need at home. All of a sudden simple bodily functions need careful planning. No bowel movement for a while could mean instant infection and back to the hospital when you're undergoing chemo. Chemo wipes out most of your immune system, so simple things like cuts could mean a need for a blood transfusion. Toothbrushes need to be extra soft, you use baby wipes instead of toilet paper, and you rinse (your mouth) with soda water. There are pages and pages of instructions to follow for everything from cleaning up vomit (gloves needed due to the toxicity of the chemo drugs), to what things need to be washed separately in the washer, to how to reach the on-call gyne oncologist.
Wigs. I stopped by Bea's. The woman there sure wasn't the friendliest. I told her what I was looking for, she kept going around the store and then showed me this cap that had hair extensions on it. Um, nope, my mom's not like that. I wasn't able to get too much information out of her, except that wigs are one size fits all apparently. One wig looked really nice, natural, colour match and all, so I'm eyeing that one. I asked my mom if she wants to get a hospital pass to leave and try some on some time, but she's not interested. She wants me to just get whatever I feel is most like her. I'll check with the people at the Cancer Society as they're the experts on this. This latter, however, has wigs on loan and knowing my mom she wouldn't want one that someone else has worn before. So, she'll be getting a new one, even if in the end it needs to be from the rude woman shop.
I'm on a mission to fatten myself up a bit more too. My appetite's coming back. M. says I have 'baggy skin' - yeah right! Lunch was McDonald's Big Mac meal, and dinner was the Molten Chocolate Lava Cake with vanilla ice cream.
11:15pm - I'm going to have a 'normal' rest of the evening by simply reading a newspaper. also taking half a sleeping pill tonight to get a good sleep and wake up at a normal hour.


No comments:
Post a Comment