11:55pm - I don't know how to describe today. It felt like one of those good days that will stick with you forever. In a way it was a
sensory overload: we encountered too many waterfalls to count, explored three turquoise lakes, saw small icebergs, traversed an avalanche slope (dicey to say the least, and perhaps the least safe slope I've stepped on all winter), and to avoid the latter for a second time, dropped down a gully from the third Memorial Lake to the first. Views towards Mounts Allan and Callembola were incredibly rewarding, as was the 'summit'. Maybe it was the sun, maybe the heat, maybe the smell of a bit of alcohol, but there was something that got me to do something I've never done before:
pose for the camera without a shirt on. Who started that anyway? Something about raw nature or whatever, but it felt great. Thankfully the photos are all on my camera so that I can be sure that they don't get distributed anywhere. Maybe it's the start of a new tradition....
Memorial Lakes were named in memory of three planes that crashed in Kananaskis in 1986. The first plane went down and the two others went in for a rescue. Thirteen men lost their lives. The memorial honors them in perhaps one of the greatest spots in Kananaskis.
I'm tired from the day, so here are a few photos. Stats to follow in the next day or so hopefully.
Waterfall below first Memorial Lake
Second Memorial Lake with Mount Allan in distance
Third Memorial Lake
Memorial at third Memorial Lake
2 comments:
There was something about this day! Right now, I find myself thinking "did this day really happen?"
We proved that 'determination' can get one through a difficult and challenging situation.
This was today's life lesson
Post a Comment