10:00am - I'm thinking about Shadow Lake for a bike 'n' hike for the weekend. 22km return on bike with gradual elevation gain and nice downhill cruise on the return, plus an easy 7km return hike. Lodge at the top, where one may even be able to get treats. Should make for a leisurely day and great photo opportunities.
4:45pm - Today was a bit of a shopping day as I ventured down Main Street with the intent of focusing on the couple of funky clothing stores to get a new wardrobe. Prices were a little mountain high so there's no new full wardrobe. My mom's trying to convince me to go back and get those $239 shoes that grabbed me; I'll need to sleep over that - for a few nights. The bulk of my purchases were done at the candy shop (taffy) and this bookstore in the basement where I found a new version of Gillean Daffern's Kananaskis Country Trail Guide (June 2010, 4th Edition, Volume 1). The book now has colour photos, small trail maps, and overall coloured topo maps, so is a big improvement from my 70's or 80's edition of this book. This bookstore has mostly used books, so it's also a place to find very gently used copies of basically all books at MEC for about half the price. Loads and loads of mountain, hiking, climbing, cycling, and other outdoorsy-related stuff.
9:20pm - I've been reading the new Kananaskis Country Trail Guide and love it! It's researched really well, so is almost like an entirely new book. It's also very inspiring to head out there... out into the mountains! It's made me think about what I'd really like to be doing again. My mind isn't with 'regular' work right now. Maybe I should freelance for Parks or something that's truly fun. This entire situation's making me reassess a lot of things, and what was important before, really isn't now. People - friends & family - matter; work doesn't. I'm definitely leaning towards something less demanding for when I do go back. I'll get pickier in that sense and focus much more on enjoying other things.
On an aside, I'm really itching to head out camping for a night. Hopefully that'll be doable some time this summer. Depending on how things go with the remainder of this chemo cycle, at the start of the next one I'm thinking of heading away for a night - maybe to Revelstoke or to spend a night at that lodge at Abraham Lake. I've wanted to go there for some time now, been finding it pricey, but now figure what the heck... gotta go enjoy and get some nice pictures and relax for a bit.
Random camping photo
Abraham Lake



1 comment:
That is so like you to design variety with a hike and bike combo :-)
Post a Comment