Ten days ago I had decided in the morning, while opening the fridge to get my daily dose of diet Coke, to just quit - give up the caffeine and aspartame starting right then and there. It worked entirely for a day. The following morning as I stood in front of my fridge again, this time with a headache, I allowed myself a shot glass full. I wondered if that's what druggies feel like when they need their next fix. Was I addicted? To the caffeine or the aspartame, or both? Since then I've found that I won't deprive myself of Coke 100% - I still feel like I need a little caffeine boost every so often - but I can now happily say that for these ten days I've been doing darn well. I'm probably averaging a 95% reduction. As of a few days ago, I don't crave the Coke anymore, and am just as fine drinking fizzy water when I feel a craving starts to hit. I just came across this page that notes that people are generally off caffeine addictions after nine days. Ironically enough, I may just fit into that as well. Yes, one bad habit kicked :-).
In the meantime, as I was in a Shopper's a few days ago I noticed that they have some new Life brand drinks called frizzante. The bottles looked nice (they call it 'European soda', whatever that means), so I got one in blood orange and one in limeade. It's sweet, but a nice little treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment