Sunday, May 2, 2010

Destination: Unknown

After last weekend's poor weather, I was just itching to get out again. In the middle of the week, however, the avalanche danger went up to Extreme for the first time this season. This meant that I couldn't even head out on most of the simpler trails. As long as there's a steep slope around (which there seems to be in all the 'good' places) the area would be out as a possibility. All of a sudden even a Chester Lake snowshoe started to look appealing, though I really didn't want to do that.

Instead, I continued with my 'new me' approach and just figured I'll wing it. Wing whatever, whenever. By Friday night I had no idea where I might go on Saturday, and even as I left my place on Saturday, still had no idea where I'd be going. But, the sun shone bright, avalanche danger had dropped, so all of a sudden I felt I should go for a summit. Perhaps ambitious, perhaps thee motivation I needed, but we stopped at the Barrier Info Centre (for a bathroom break), didn't even ask the guy about trail conditions because he'd probably be giving the tourist edition again, and decided to head for Old Baldy Ridge. Just as I was ready to turn into the parking lot, I slammed on the brakes. Was that a gate? Nope, just snow. Time to test the all-wheel drive I figured. And I made it to a place in the actual parking lot.

From there it was an adventure. Snow was deep and I had no clue in which direction a trail might actually start. A wardrobe change was necessary within 50m of the parking lot, someone's pole malfunctioned, so a gear repair was in order as well, and then we figured we should maybe look at a map. GemTrek to the rescue, we walked along the plowed fire road before spending what seemed like half an hour to decide where to start bushwhacking. Come with BB and you'll be bushwhacking for the bulk of the day! We eventually found MacDougall Creek, so followed it in deep snow for over 4 hours before figuring we'd never even make it to the tarn, let alone to the ridge. The return was much quicker, and then it was off to the mountains further west.

I was given a little treat (see picture below), but was good and didn't have any yesterday or this morning. Now I just enjoyed a glass, enjoying it as one would enjoy a glass of wine.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park