Last year I got more into
photography, and eventually got
Darwin Wiggett's How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies. I've been inspired by his work, as well as that of another local photographer,
Samantha Chrysanthou. Before having done much research, it became apparent that a place called
Abraham Lake is a favourite amongst many local photographers. I was thrown off by the captions that said it's in the Kootenays. To me that sounded like Kootenay National Park. Instead, Abraham Lake is in the Kootenay Plains, east of Saskatchewan River Crossing. One of the lake's main features are the patterns created on its ice, attributed largely to being located in a windy area. Being about 300km from here, it sounded like a doable destination to me. I've been meaning to go since Christmas break, but to get there for sunrise/sunset meant leaving very early or coming back late. This Saturday, though, it's time to finally give it a go. While there, I'll take advantage of the opportunity and also get a hike/mini scramble in. The plan is to leave the city by 6am, hike
Two O'Clock Lake, be at Abraham Lake for sunset, and back in the city by 11pm. I'm sure I'll be sleeping well after that!
While googling photos of Abraham Lake, I came across a website by a guy named Chip Phillips. His landscapes are extraordinary -
go check them out. I'd love to be able to take photos of that quality one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment