7:50am - No updates from Emergency this morning. My mom's off for an ultrasound. I'm supposed to call back after 8:30. Didn't get any sleep.
To Do:
- Cancel flights (up to 4 hours prior to departure) - check if all can be done through Air Miles or airlines as well. Air Miles Monday to Friday 8 a.m.- 9 p.m. (Eastern Time). 1-888-AIR MILES
- Cancel rental car
- Cancel hotels
- Cancel points stay nights
3:44pm - I'm home from the hospital for three hours to try to get some sleep. This morning they discovered a mass on my mom's ovaries which measures 12cm x 13cm. We're waiting for the CA125 cancer marker test results - hopefully will still get that today. They also don't know where the fluid around the lungs is from yet. You're put on edge when they take you out of a typical emergency department stretcher bay into a private room. We design those spaces, and I know they're not good news. This afternoon they took her up to the gynecology/oncology unit. She has a bed by the window, facing the mountains.
So, now they're thinking there are two possible causes which are being investigated:
- The Arimidex may have caused the fluid around the lungs. We also don't know yet if that fluid contains cancer cells or not. They think this is 'probable'.
- The ovarian cyst may have contributed to the fluid around the lungs. We also don't know yet if the cyst could be malignant. They think it 'strongly indicates' that it is. In 45-50% of women over 50 they are.
It's hard to see your mom cry. Right now I don't know what I can do.
Positives for today:
- Being able to go for a full walk around the unit with my mom. This is much further than shes been able to walk the entire last week.
- Having lunch with my mom, even if it is just hospital food. The meatballs were actually good.
- My dad's blood tests were mostly normal. Only elevated cholesterol, which in the greater scheme of things is nothing.
5:15pm - Sitting at home and googling stuff isn't helping me. My dad called to say he's going back to Canmore for the night. My mom's feeling down. She wants her hair washed, so I'm going in and taking a hairdryer and curling iron. Hopefully that'll give us some bonding time.
They'll be re-doing our condo's public areas (hallways, etc.) and open house is tonight at 7. I'm curious as to what they have planned (and hope they picked some acceptable colours), but I guess that really doesn't matter so I'm skipping it.
8:42pm - Back from the hospital. Had dinner with my mom & did her hair, which was a good distraction.
Tomorrow I'm planning on going in to work for 6 hours or so, then go to the hospital, and then have my hair cut. Thursday my mom might get to go home, so will have to play it by ear. I might end up taking half of Friday off as well to head out to Canmore provided results over the next couple of days are good and I might still be going on the trip. My mom was in tears begging me to still go. On the one hand I think I'd feel incredibly guilty, especially as I extended this trip to 10 days now, while on the other hand I feel I need to get away from things and shift my focus for a while. Maybe it would allow me to come back more rejuvenated so that I could focus more on my mom afterwards. I'll also have to figure out what to do with work. At this rate with all the doctor's appointments and things I could probably just work three days a week. I would be very, very afraid going away though if there are cancerous cells either in the fluid around the lungs or the cyst in the abdomen. Prognoses for either of those scenarios are not good at all. If we were to get that unfortunate news, I'd want to spend as much time as possible with my mom. In the meantime, I think I've figured that if I were to shift careers, I'd go into nursing. I wouldn't want the responsibility of the doctors, but I do like helping people.
No comments:
Post a Comment