However, where Dr. M. really blew me away was when she took my family history (the breast and ovarian cancer), looked at my blood work, and told me what I needed to change in order to decrease my chances of those cancers as much as possible. These are the health supplements I need to take:
- My vitamin D needs to be on the very high end of normal. Right now I'm on the low end, so I got a D-Mulsion 1000 supplement for that (and taking 4,000 IU a day).
- B vitamins need a boost. She prescribed me Seroyal Orti B.
- Got AOR Saccharomyces Boulardii (a probiotic) to keep immunity up.
- Will be getting Metagenics EPA:DHA Extra Strength in the next few days. This boosts omega 3, 6, and 9, which I'm slightly low on. This concoction is only available in a couple of pharmacies in the city so I have to wait for it, but Dr. M. wants to be sure I don't get it from fish loaded with mercury.
On top of all that, Dr. M. noted that there now is a blood test that is done in the States which may be able to detect ovarian cancer earlier and assist with screening. She couldn't remember the name of it, so will e-mail me tomorrow. You've gotta love a doctor who goes through that effort. Like myself, she believes that knowledge is power, so also referred me to The Optimum Nutrition Bible, which I promptly got at Chapters on my way home. She explained to me that genetics has now revealed that even though one may have something screwed up in their DNA, we likely do have a lot of control as to whether those mutations become active or not. Having the right nutrition and exercise are vital. I feel more hopeful now, and will now curl up on the couch with my new book.P.S. - I snooped through my file when she left the room for a few minutes. Apparently I have acute stress. Yup, I think that probably describes my last few months, so need to bust that.
1 comment:
I read between the lines of what Dr M told you and what I read said "get out there snowshoeing in the sunshine with friends who make you laugh"!
Post a Comment