Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Nature Theme

A while ago I wrote a blog entry on redesigning my den. What had stalled me for the last couple of years was the fact that I never saw a desk that I really liked ... and I had gotten too lazy to design one, find someone to build it, and then find someone to stain it properly. I always said that I'll know which desk I want when I see it. While I had always envsioned something very contemporary, there was just something that didn't feel quite right. All my other furniture is designed of smooth wood with an espresso stain. It works fine for everything, but I'm not sure if it would stand up to the abuse of a desk (i.e., writing on something and having it scratch through on the wood). Then yesterday, as I was driving down Main Street in Canmore, I saw one in the display window at Stonewaters: contemporary, yet a little rustic. Maybe I've met my match, as I've also been drawn to more natural things and have considered incorporating a little bit of a mountain theme into this room.

This is the desk I saw:



I had never even considered something with reclaimed wood, but I love this. The size also seems perfect for me: 63" wide x 28 1/4" deep x 30 1/2" high. And what finally clicked was the fact that the back of this desk (which I would have up against a window) has a shelf - perfect for getting the subwoofer and other electronic ugliness tucked away! Brilliant design in my opinion. Ideally I'd like to hide the big CPU box as well, but may just accept that for now. I figure my next computer would be a simple laptop, which would get me to what I really want for this room - a room that doesn't look like a den or study. It's where my photo editing happens, and where I spend my time online. I no longer need the space to write essays and work-related things.

But, where I didn't click was with the price of this beauty. Thankfully I've got some sort of knack for google searches, so found a near-identical desk in Calgary. This is what that one looks like:



This second desk is also half the price and is available in Calgary. Hmm! The only thing I don't like as much are the legs, but that could be an easy fix for later. I'll take a look at it tomorrow night.

Another idea I got at Stonewaters was faux wood wallpaper. I knew I want one accent wall and would have picked dark brown for it (the rest will likely be the 'curry-ish' main colour I have throughout the rest of my place, so this fits with the natural theme and colour-wise.



Then top off with some natural greenery, rocks, my summit stone, and whatever other natural materials I can find and voila, I've got my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park