Saturday far exceeded my expectations. The weather forecast kept changing, and on the agenda was a 1,000m ascent day. With these early conditions, it was really hit and miss as to whether one could make it to the top of a mountain right now. I had had a long week, so knew that if I'd make it up, it would be something special. Secretly my goal was to make it to the gates. They became a destination, even as the uphill posed some challenging stretches in the snow. We had blue sky, we had snow, we had views to the north, we had views to the south. After a couple of hours we weren't even very far from the car, but we pressed on, changing our turn-around time from 2:00 to 3:00, to 3:30. And that was ok, because what we found at the top was a real gem, a destination that warrants a return trip in summer. We found an easier way down, so managed to hit the pub in due time. I was so thankful to have my day of normal, to think about where I'd have to put my feet rather than have my mind occupied by other worries. We were out for 14 1/2 hours, but that's how I like it - feeling drained after a big accomplishment.



No comments:
Post a Comment