Thursday, March 31, 2011

Prayer Wheels

In learning about the culture of Nepal, it wasn't long until I had stumbled across prayer wheels.  I had no idea what they were at the time, but one would see them all over Kathmandu and up through the villages to Everest Base Camp.  You spin them for prayer (and good luck? - always clockwise I believe) and I vaguely recall reading that you always walk to the left side of them.  Heading up this particular trek, it's common to see scenes such as these:



Today at lunch I went into a Tibetan store that I have been walking by for the last few years, but never before had gone inside.  It was like stepping into some other place - there was Tibetan jewelry, incense, two beautiful wooden prayer wheels, as well as the prayer flags that are so common in the Himalayas.  Googling it afterwards, I guess it's the most decent/authentic Tibetan shop in town and I felt like it might give some very small glimpse of what it would actually feel like to be in the Himalayas.  One day!

I also came across this site with some really great classic Nepal trekking photos showing the porters, yaks, and typical mountain life there.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park