Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Base Camp

In the fall of 2008 I had started planning a trip to Everest Base Camp.  By that time I was intrigued by mountains, by nature, by experiencing a culture totally different from our own.  I figured at the time that I would come back with a much greater appreciation of what we have.  And while things have happened that have kept delaying this trip, it's still on my to-do list.  I'm intrigued by the life in Kathmandu, by flying into Lukla, and by living with nothing more than 12kg you can bring withyourself on that little plane.  You even bring your own toilet paper for they don't really use that there.  Throw in camera and hiking gear and it is tight.  I carry as much in a regular day pack when out hiking.  A friend I travelled with back in '99 actually went to Base Camp in December of 2008 (or was it 2009?) and brought back incredible experiences.  For the last few days you live in the same clothes; it's too cold to get changed and bother much, and by that time altitude becomes an issue for many.  I've always viewed this trek as a spiritual journey, a journey of self-discover and find that it is still one I need to take.  Here are some images from research I've come across.

This chat kept reppearing in all my research: om mani padme hum.

Thamel district in Kathmandu, where most spend their first couple of nights.
Plane scheduled don't really exist in Nepal, so you better have an extra day or two.
They say you shouldn't eat anything that isn't cooked or boiled.
Scrap anything fresh for three weeks.

Durbar Square in Kathmandu

Lukla. This is the start of the trek, with the most dangerous runway in the world
due to altitude, its sloping angle, short length, and highly changing weather. 
Yes, you do fly off the side of a mountain.  No kidding here.
Survive the flight and you should be good for the rest (apart from altitude).

Namche Bazaar, the first night of the trek for many.
There are even reports of primive showers here as well as an internet cafe.


Kala Patthar, the highest point on the trek at 5,545m

This room is luxurious as far as the tea houses (where you sleep) go.

Everest Base Camp. Expeditions gear up in April/May.
The rest of the year there really is nothing in base camp apart from snow.

Here's a good video if you'd like to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park