Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Den Design

Recently I've been inspired by design again. Since I redid most of my place in 2007, my den has been a leftover room.  With a glass wall opening the space up to the rest of my living area, I want it to be something unique.  I have decided on going for more of a contemporary loungey feel than a work area feel (think Crate & Barrel, Urban Barn, Home Evolution, and the like).  Finding a desk has been a challenge, and a year or two ago there were a couple that I really liked: the Emilio and the Bentley.  Neither, however, are very functional and would leave the CPU fully exposed.  I need to come up with strategic storage to hide pieces like that, only leaving the 'fun stuff' exposed.  I think that means I'll be designing my own furniture again.  At least that way I'd get a perfect match in colour and detailing as well.


What got me thinking about the design for this room again is a giclée print that I first saw at a store in Banff earlier this summer.  With a passion for the outdoors (and lacking a room for all my outdoor gear!), I was immediately inspired by it.  It's a girl with an ice axe, standing atop a summit.  The patches along the side are potential accent wall colours.


My initial sketches, ca. 2008 or 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park