Friday, October 22, 2010

"See you at the top"

Sometimes things just work out: you're at the right place at the right time.  Back in the fall of 2008 I first started thinkinga bout going to Everest Base Camp.  I had read countless books on Nepal, the Sherpa culture and customs, altitude illness, researched tour companies, looked into the vaccinations, and started planning.  I told myself I'd go to Colorado for a week first - closer to home, and see how I respond at 4,000m+.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a website that noted that some sherpas and Laurie Skreslet (first Canadian Everest summitteer) would be at Atmosphere.  I thought about it, but then dismissed it because I had lots going on and felt like I wouldn't have time.  It wasn't until this morning that a friend sent me the link again and I decided I'd go.  It was a rare opportunity.

Apa Sherpa was the first one I talked to.  After all this reading about the Sherpa people and how welcoming they are, this was the first time that I felt it.  He had a smile on his face, waved me over and started talking.  It didn't seem like another boring old meet-and-greet to him.  He is the world record holder with 20 Everest summits behind him.  50 years old.  Wow.

Ang Dorje Sherpa quickly chimed.  He is the one I've read the most about, and people perhaps know him best from Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air, describing the disastrous year at Everest.  He was Rob Hall's number one sherpa and always put others ahead of himself.  It was an honour to meet him.  40 years old and 14 Everst summits.

Much to my surprise, Mingma Tenji Sherpa, lives in Calgary.  He summitted with the Canadians in 1990.  And Byron Smith, another Canadian and who's climbed all 7 Summits, told me about touring a hospital in the Khumbu.  Next year marks 50 years since Edmund Hillary's climb.  His son is heading up again, and these guys are joining in.

So, in terms of things just working out, I normally would have never driven to Atmosphere.  I had a quick work meeting beforehand and wouldn't have made it otherwise, so found a parking stall right in front of the store.  Thanks to having kept all my hiking/scrambling/climbing stuff in the car all summer, I could quickly grab my helmet.

"See you at the top", wrote Byron Smith.

My helmet's new look

Left to right: Byron Smith (7 summits), Minga Tenji Sherpa,
Ang Dorje Sherpa (14 Everest summits), and Apa Sherpa (20 Everest summits).



1 comment:

Alexandra said...

What a great opportunity, meeting the Sherpas! Did you come away inspired? How could one not!

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park