Yesterday
Days like this have been rare recently. I left at 7:30am to embark on a solo summit up Snow Peak. I picked the location because the trail up to Burstall Pass is busy, so I knew I wouldn't be alone. I pulled into the parking lot just being the third car, and was it ever beautiful out. A crisp morning, +2°C, and the sun was still behind the mountains. This made for a very pleasant walk through the forest and to the dryas flats. I could hear trees squaking, the odd whiskey jack chirping away, and squirrels running across the old logging road. I made really good time to the end of the flats, then slowed down to the pass. It was getting warm very quickly - up to 22°C within an hour basically.
I had a nice lazy lunch, playing with the camera before I continued on to Snow Peak. At the base of the mountain I saw the two entrances to the 3 D caves. Apparently they're quite dangerous, 'ending' in a vertical ice wall. I headed up along the SE ridge, then took a quick break near the remnant of the cornice (from which Snow Peak gets its name) before scrambling up the crux and heading along the summit ridge. What a view! And what a gorgeous day out. The return trip was quicker, but I took another long break at the flats to take pictures of trees, moss, and water (and my infamous Coke bottle). Overall, a very rewarding long day out.
Today
Sometimes people do something that just blows you away. Again, those little things that make a big difference. This morning I woke up early, figured I'd snooze for a while longer, and had a dream that I was running. Running along the pathway, and running for kilometres without any effort. I'm not a runner and find it hard in real life, but when I woke up I remembered that a friend was running in the CIBC's Run for the Cure this morning. When I checked the computer this afternoon, I found this:









1 comment:
Glad to know you took advantage of the gorgeous day we had yesterday! Such nice photos of your adventure!
Post a Comment