Thursday, October 7, 2010

Device to root out evil

A couple of years ago I came across this image online and found it fascinating. It's a sculpture titled Device to Roout Out Evil by Dennis Oppenheim.  Especially his outdoor sculptures can have quite a whimsical flair about them.  As luck would have it, the little upside-down church was controversial enough that Vancouver voted it out of its city and it now found a home in Calgary.


These are the images I got of it this evening:



It was a great evening for photography (and great clouds!), so I kept driving in search of little treasures.  Who knew that there's a two-storey barn located mere blocks from downtown?  I can't believe I've missed this monstrosity all these years.


And then I came upon a rightside-up church.  This was a quick photo that I shot handheld, but managed to capture the stars.  If there are clear skies this weekend, star trails will be on my agenda.


Lessons learned:  Over the last couple of days I've started playing around with bracketing and HDR.  The bracketing looks like it has huge potential, especially for night-time shots and midday mountain scenes where some spots are extremely bright while others are in total shadows.  I'll see how that theory holds up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park