Challenge #1: Water
Just about 15 minutes into the hike we had a nice surprise at the dam. I've been there before, but clearly didn't make the connection that now the water wouldn't be frozen and water crossing shoes would come in handy. We gracefully scooted along the pipe in hopes of keeping our shoes dry. The ten or so other crossings weren't as easy as we lost a lot of time sitting down, taking shoes off, taking socks off, crossing, saying how cold the water was (like we didn't know that from all the other crossings), and putting everything on again.
(Photo by D.)
(Photo by D.)
Challenge #2: The 'Route'
Bob Spirko talks about a route up to the ridge that is 3.5km up the valley. We looked for it, we even tried bushwhacking, but we weren't getting anywhere. Onto plan B: head up the creek another 3km, then ascend to the ridge via the Gemtrek route. That route wasn't obvious either. We found the drainage, but we also found dense - lush, incredibly healthy - bush that didn't let us anywhere. Backtrack a bit and just find a way up I suppose. Someone must have been as crazy before us, for we came across a whiskey bottle and later a Coke bottle.
Challenge #3: Beasts: Mosquitos and Ticks
Suffice it to say that fat, healthy beasts live up on the ridge.
Challenge #4: Rain
We got creative with the rain gear. We actually found that putting rainjackets on backwards at least keeps your back nice and cool. A long-sleeved layer udnerneath it helps, but I was boiling so ditched that. And then my sweaty arms stuck against the inside of my rain jacket. Yuck.
Challenge #5: The Neverending Ridge
Hey, we get to drop down after this bump. No, there's four more. And then Exshaw Mountain comes into sight, but no way would I add that to this trip. We're soggy, we're exhausted, and we're hungry. We get to the low point before Exshaw Mountain and in some delusional state all agree that we actually should tackle it. We end up in dense bush where brushing against one tree gives you your daily shower. Except you have to squeeze amongst dozens of trees. We can see the cement plant, but we simply cannot get to it.
(Photo by D.)
Challenge #6: Dropping the Last 200m
There was supposed to be a route straight down, but more bush, dense ground cover, and smaller cliff bands prevent us from actually finding it. By this point we've had enough and just want to get down. Ah, that elusive Exshaw.
After spending all day in water, getting muddy, and forcing our way through underbrush, at the end of the day no-one wanted to follow the shortcut through piles of perfectly sifted top soil. 'Are you serious?' someone asked, but I didn't have the energy to walk around the creek for a few blocks when there was a perfectly fine footbridge just ahead. And so they followed.
The Moral of the Story
After 10 hours of being out there, I felt rewarded for having enjoyed a full summer (almost!) day in the mountains. I love coming home on a Saturday night, being exhausted and hungry. Hungry for food for the night, but also hungry for another adventure the next weekend. And I think these last two weekends have done a fine job at making me feel pleasantly depleted and being determined that I can get out there every weekend. If I can do two back-to-back weekends in rain, I'll be able to do it in the sun, in alpine meadows, and atop my peaks.
These are some highlight shots from the day:










1 comment:
All the challenges can make for memories that bring on a smile! I like how you don't let a little rain, or I should say a lot of rain, stop you from living life!
Post a Comment