Sunday, June 12, 2011

Challenging Hikes

A year ago today we set out to hike the Buller circuit, but snow was just too deep to complete that objective.  I remember that hike very well as it was my first time hiking since my mom's ovca diagnosis.  I felt I didn't have any energy, a friend commented how much weight I had lost, and I was so glad to have made it as far as I did that day.  It provided me a few hours away from the challenges of the previous weeks.  It was also the start of a year during which I struggled with hikes.  I really don't remember where my mind was at the time (and reading posts from a year ago is just too painful), but I remember looking more at stones.  I became fascinated by stones.  I bought two geology books and started learning.  Kinda like Geology 101.  And I looked in awe at those very detailed summit stones.  I knew that I had acrylics tucked away in my closet (they had been sitting there for over ten years), so I had pulled those out, found myself a rock, and started painting.  Now, I will never have the patience to paint an elaborate mountain scene, plus, I was just packing for my hike so needed something quick, so took the rock from my garden and wrote on it two words: Survive on one side, and Strength on the other.  I left that rock near the top of an unnamed rock.  It's not a spot where anyone is likely to find it, but I know that it's out there. 

One year later, and with snow lingering about a month later than usual, I was looking for hikes.  I'd still like to return to complete the full Buller circuit one day, but if snow was too much last year, surely there wouldn't be a chance at making it at this time.  Instead I picked Ribbon Falls, a hike that never grabbed my attention much for it sounded like a long slog in the woods.  However, as I started reading more about the chains between the falls and Ribbon Lake, I became intrigued.  The distance would turn it into a day hike, while the chains would add the excitement.  Trail reports listed 2m of snow at the lake.  It was pouring as we set out, drizzled as we had lunch at Ribbon Falls Campground, and then stopped.  Four of us tackled the chains and made it to the lake.  There I was, standing by the lake that we would have looked down on from Buller.  I felt fulfilled.  And as a somewhat symbolic gesture, I left one of DSD's summit stones in the backcountry yesterday.  I am sure this one will be found, for it was left in a dry location, tucked away.

Today I felt yesterday's hike.  It's obvious that this was the first 20km+ hike of the season.  I fell asleep in no time, then was out again for a few hours this morning, only to take an afternoon nap on the couch, have dinner, and hit the couch yet again.  Now I'm awake and already thinking about the next adventure - the one that is, according to Gillean Daffern, the spot to visit if you could only do one hike in PLPP.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park