Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Year of Special Moments

2011 has probably been the second most difficult year I've ever lived through, but it's also allowed me to explore things I wouldn't have otherwise and I am feeling much more content than a did at the beginning of the year - yay to that.  This post is a collection of 25 special moments I've had throughout the year, in no particular order, other than how they come to my mind - and with the exception of number 1.
25. I went on vacation - two plane vacations, in fact. One was a trip to Colorado and Utah that I had postponed by a year, and another a more impromptu trip to Hawaii. I got to see my first actual volcano in Hawaii.

24. I got to experience three incredible hut weekends. My favourite would have to be Abbot Pass, for the scramble with a heavy pack was a challenge, and sitting outside in the middle of the night, looking at the stars and seeing the moon move across the sky was breathless. It was a dream come true. Asulkan Hut was another physical challenge due merely to carrying way too much stuff, but I thoroughly enjoyed my free day of lounging around and watching the light change on the glacier throughout the day. And Elk Lakes was a real slog due to the amount of snow we encountered.

23. I got promoted and got a raise at work.  Still a crappy profession to be in in terms of pay, but at least this shows some recognition; lots more responsibility too though.

22. I experienced the happiest day of my life when I found out that I do not have the BRCA genetic mutation that runs in my family. This meant that I can keep all my girly parts.

21. I started cross-country skiing and it's been a blast. Can't believe that I didn't try this sooner, but last night a couple of us compiled our hit list for the new year: Great Divide, Moraine Lake, Goat Creek, Pipestone, Tyrwhitt, and Redearth. I wouldn't be surprised if after that we'll be itching to go for that second pair of skis, especially now that another one has decided to focus on backcountry skiing.

20. We got to enjoy a family boat ride on Lake Coeur d'Alene on December 25th, which we had originally wanted to do the year before, but were unable to.

19. I took at least one photograph every single day of the year. At the end of the year I started getting a few of those images published.

18. I went to a meditation at the Divine Mine, with no idea of what to expect, but thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

17. I got milk fresh from a farm in BC.

16. I took road trips that gave me some 'me time'. Most have been to smalltown Alberta.

15. I went to the dinosaur museum in Drumheller and had a blast. This was after putting this off at least 15 years because I didn't find dinosaurs that interesting.

14. I got an iPhone and it's been such a convenient thing to have. Less time on the computer at home.

13. I saw the Milky Way in all its glory while driving in the night in Canyonlands National Park.

12. I have an amazing doctor.

11. I soloed Bow Peak after probably ascending a more difficult portion than all the books describe. It was unreal standing atop the mountain all by myself with 360-degree views that went about 70km in every direction.

10. I won a four-season tent, which will allow me to go car camping next summer. It's too heavy for backpacking though.

9. I've been getting compliments at least every week when I wear my hot pink down jacket around town.

8. I've been making more donations to help others out, espcially to causes like the Weekend to End Women's Cancers and STARS. I got a birthday present for 4-year-old girl, even though I have no idea who she is.

7. I've learned about life and friends.

6. I went sailing for the first time in my life.

5. I saw a real princess.

4. I ate too much, but I don't care.

3. I have slowly started to feel again.

2. I have come to really appreciate the little things that are actually the ones that make the biggest difference.

1. I've had the chance to be healthy and enjoy a whole bunch of adventures.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year with the best of health,
happiness, love and adventures.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Great list! Happy New Year. :)

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park