Morning: Boulton Creek
- Without poles: Gorilla - low knees, gliding/diagonal stride
- Without poles: Baboon - slightly bent knees, gliding, reaching for the 'banana'/diagonal stride
- Without poles: Human - upright, gliding, reaching for the 'remote'/diagonal stride
- Without poles: Breaking - one foot out of track, edge in, hands on outside knee
- Without poles: Gliding - one ski, like a scooter
- With poles: Diagonal Stride
- Posture: Eyes ahead, upper body slightly forward, weight transfer
- Uphills: Slight jogging, little steps, weight on grip zone, hands not higher than shoulders
- Waxing: At -6ºC, it was a perfect blue wax day. That meant I stuck nicely on uphills, and slid nicely for the downhills. My skis felt nice and fast and I felt that I actually had to keep stopping because I kept getting too close to people.
- Waxing technique: three layers of kick wax in the grip zone, glide wax as needed (every few times). Over summer, layer on the glide wax to prevent ski bases from drying out. Glide wax to be used is same for waxable and waxless (wax-less, not no wax) skis, but for waxable use hard waxes for kick zone and soft stuff for waxless skis.
Afternoon: Elkwood Amphitheatre
- Poles in hands, gliding
- Poles in hands, jogging uphill - look, no skiing backwards anymore!
- Poles in hands, slight snowplow on gradual hill
- With poles: 'tour' to the afternoon drills spot
- With poles: double poling - yeah, push downhill ... fast! Finally we're getting somewhere.
- Putting it all together: diagonal strides, double poling, controlled downhills with one ski outside of track, and braking.
Now I'm itching to get out for a big day trip tour, so aiming for one on December 23rd. So many options - big PLPP loop, Great Divide, Cascade, etc.

2 comments:
"Poles in hands, jogging uphill" looks like what we saw that soloist doing on our return trip from the cabin.
I'd argue we looked more 'orderly' :-). His arms were all over the place to the sides.
Post a Comment