I started looking at old Alberta barns. You know, the little structures you see on the range roads, buildings that seemingly crumble because they've been abandoned decades ago. Photographers love them and I was sure I'd be able to convince a farmer to let me have a few boards (eight square feet is all I need). They're all weathered nicely, but in comparing grains and whatnot, they weren't as good a match as I'd like. Then I shifted gears and started looking online, searching for architectural salvage and the like. That would be the expensive route and I ruled it out. What I was looking for is pretty much a needle in a haystack: there isn't much wood here that would be a match with grain, still have a little bit of bark on it, and possibly some old paint marks to indicate its origins. Hardwood floors became my next option and I found a guy locally that has a 'junkyard' full of wood. I could have some from his place around Ogden/Bonnybrook. I took a drive there; the smell marks your arrival there (sewage plant type of welcome!). I looked through the yard, found stuff that would be acceptable, but didn't get the warm and fuzzies. I retreated from my search and decided to stop for a quick lunch at the Blackfoot Diner - a classic in Calgary like Peter's. Then, as luck would have it, I saw an architectural salvage sign, so checked it out.
Uniquities is a gold mine. They get containers full of salvaged pieces from the UK, so you never know what they have. The place is huge and has immense character; it's like a museum in there. And then, hidden along the back wall, were a few planks of wood - a match with the grain, perfect in size, solid throughout, with a little bit of bark remnant, as well as some paint stains. These pieces gave me the warm and fuzzies; they'd be a match with the correct wax for the wood. The owner wasn't in, so I couldn't get a price (or buy), but later found out that they're three times what I had budgeted. It's a dilemma: do I settle for second best, or do I pay an outrageous price for perfection? Turns out that the three planks I'd want are salvaged pieces from the Staffordshire Pottery Factory that was first established in 1773 and burned in 2009.
A scene from inside the pottery factory, ca. 1851

The salvaged pieces, each approximately 9" wide x 6' long
Update from December 21, 2011:
I knew these planks would be perfect for my shelf/cabinet project, so after having given myself a couple of days, I decided to splurge. I love how this wood has a story behind it, and it really is a great match with the peroba. I think if I hadn't gone for it, I'd regret it for some time. Hopefully I'll finish the project in January.
My desk with reclaimed peroba wood from South America
and one of the pieces from the Staffordshire Pottery Factory above





No comments:
Post a Comment