December 4th marks St. Barbara, a day we celebrated when I was a child, though most likely because it relates to my name. There were special branches that would be cut from certain trees that day and then brought inside. If they blossomed by Christmas, luck would come in the following year. As I was also hospitalized shortly after I was born (in September), I was baptized (or is it christened??) later than originally planned - on St. Barbara.
Interestingly enough, St. Barbara is the patron saint of architects. Just a few weeks ago my mom had told me that some 45 years ago she said she wanted to be an architect, but they didn't let her for she was a girl. And I have also just recently been told that my grandma on the other side of the family would always say (when I was very little, so I don't remember) that I would one day make an architect. Happy coincidence maybe. Saint Barbara was also invoked against lightning - and I love lightning.
You can read more about St. Barbara here.

No comments:
Post a Comment