Thursday, November 11, 2010

Into the wild

Recently I've been craving a bit more adventure, an outing that's more out there than the usual trails, and something that would get me high (elevation wise) at this time of year.  I didn't really have time to plan anything, so went for a repeat of Black Rock Mountain which I first did a couple of years ago.  It's an adventure just getting there: the bumpy gravel road (it makes the Smith Dorrien seem like gold) can shake up your breakfast, and there's a crossing of the Ghost River riverbed involved.  Thankfully it was completely dry and this time offered a much better path across than I remembered.  It's very doable in regular SUVs.  The weather was nice and sunny, though we did experience a low of -11ÂșC at the summit with strong winds.  Brrrr!  But, we were distracted with a potluck that offered plenty of goodies: sushi, warm soup, cheeses, sausage, sweets, and more.  In the summer much of Waiparous gets trashed due to its proximity to the city and the rough boys heading out there, but some areas there truly are hidden gems.  Unless you know which private gate to go through here, you'd never stumble across this spot by accident.   I like that seclusion.  The remoteness is hard to beat in a place so close to home.  As I've been thinking more about getting into outdoor climbing, I also wouldn't be surprised if I'd start heading out there more over the next couple of years or so.  Phantom Crag (pictures in the top photo below) is a big local climbing area.  Can't wait to experience more!
Black Rock Mountain
Distance: 10-11km  |  Elevation Gain: 920 hours
Ascent rate: 362m/hour  |  Ascent time: 2h30  |  Descent time: 2h00
Total time: 5h00





1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Would I be correct in saying that everything you desired in an adventure for yesterday was fulfilled!

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park