Update from September 18: I dug out the existing tripod and it's a Dynex 60. Looks like something that originated from BestBuy at some time. It's 1.3kg, so actually even a little lighter than the Manfrotto with ball head! I might just have to keep that one for a while because the legs are sturdy and easy to adjust. Maybe I can get a used ball head from eBay that would fit.
Friday, September 17, 2010
Tripod wake-up call
I think my camera needs a buddy - a nice tripod to partner up with! I went to Vistek first to check out their selection, and saw a ball head (the Manfrotto 496RC2) that I really liked, but no tripod that I liked. They were all either too big/heavy or too flimsy. Or they didn't have clips on the legs but were of the screw type. So, I figured why not browse The Camera Store as well and fell in love with an expensive piece of carbon fiber. It's the Manfrotto XPRO3, which seems a perfect balance of weight and stability. However, my budget for tripod plus ball head was $200 tops. I think they're selling the set for $468, so I had to pass (tripod alone is $418 and ball head alone is $98). Maybe some fool on eBay will have gotten one such tripod as a present, not have a clue as to what it is, and sell it cheap. I'll keep watching! In the meantime, here are some pictures to keep drooling:




No comments:
Post a Comment