Monday, September 13, 2010

Hatha & healthy

I'm back in the city, so it's time to settle into a new routine for the fall.  I've been trying a lot of new things and focusing on living healthier this summer, so this week I'm going to try hatha yoga.  I have no idea what it really is, but am going in with an open mind.  It seems to be a slower type, something relaxing and meditative.  That sounds like something that could benefit me.  There's a studio downtown, so it'll be easy to fit it in with my work schedule.  The drop-in classes sound convenient.  Calmer mind, greater flexibility .... lush. 



A while ago my doctor also prescribed me some pills to cope with some stuff.  We agreed that I didn't have to take them if I felt I was doing well without, but would have them available if I needed them.  Between seeing the social worker, living healthier and cutting out stress, things have been going quite good.  The little white pills have been sitting in my cupboard for months, but last Friday got me a little down, so I finally took one last night.  Yikes.  It seems like a mood/mind/whatever-altering drug and gave me a brain buzz that has just worn off now, about 20 hours after taking half a pill.  I drifted to sleep alright, but then woke up with insomnia, chills on my face, and feeling a little jittery.  It felt like neurons were firing away like crazy inside my head and it distracted me all day.  I have no idea what it feels like to be 'high' on a drug, but if this is it, it's not a pretty feeling.  I doubt that I'll even take that other half of the pill.  Though the side-effects are supposed to wear off after a week or so, I'd rather not be taking this stuff anyway.  I'll live the normal way instead.

And this may sound completely crazy to some, but I absolutely swear by 'hug therapy'.  I don't know why or how, but a few years ago I realized that getting a big hug - the type where you can hear someone's heart beat - has a very calming effect on me.  I could have a totally crazy work day and be wired, but then feel completely relaxed and content when curled up.  Research has now shown that it normalizes one's heartbeat and does indeed have relaxing effects.  Even cuts down on heart disease.  After my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and I got a big hug, I instantly felt more at ease.  Likewise after the ovarian cancer.  Unfortunately those effects wear off after a few hours and you can't just go to a store and get hugs, but this beating heart pillow sounds like it may attempt to be a substitute.  Might be a treat for some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park