Thursday, May 12, 2011

Celebrating the Happiest Day of My Life

March 17 - St. Patrick's Day - I went for my genetic testing.  Based on my mom's results, I had a 50:50 chance for having a mutation.  With BRCA1, my risk for ovarian cancer would have gone up to 46% and risk of breast cancer up to about 75-80%.  The only way around it is to have one's ovaries and breasts removed.  And that terrified me.  I've had countless sleepless nights, and was sweating last night when the plane landed and I would have cell phone reception (and therefore get my messages) for the first time after nine days of being on vacation.  One hung up call that I didn't know who it was from. 

This morning I was woken up to my phone ringing.  I saw a hospital number, so knew it was Genetics.  The couselor had the envelope, but hadn't opened it to see the results.  When did I want them?  Instantly, of course.  So, she opened it, and immediately said it was negative.  I do not have a genetic mutation.  I do not have a higher risk of breast or ovarian cancer than the general population, even though a large portion of my family does.  This is what they call a true negative - when a mutation has been identified in the family and you do not have it.  What a relief, what a tremendous second chance at being able to go on with things in a more 'normal' way again.  All these things that I had previosuly taken for granted now mean so much more.  I get to keep body parts and that right now makes me extremely happy.  I don't know if it's really sunk in yet, but I'll be sure to get a bottle of wine to celebrate.

1 comment:

DW said...

I am so happy for your long awaited great news.
Your vacation photos are outstanding.........as is todays :-)

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park