Monday, May 23, 2011

Summer Dreaming

The rainy holiday had me spending time indoors, so I started looking up all kinds of things for potential summer hikes.  I'm longing for something different, maybe some r-n-r weekends, and getting away from Kananskis and Banff.  Here are some places I'm thinking of going this summer.  Drop me a line if you'd be interested as well.

Near the Icefields: Hilda Creek Wilderness Hostel

For years I thought this place was shut down and no longer functional.  Turns out it's a hostel with the most comfy beds (real matresses) and sleeps only six people.  That means that on an off day one can have this place all to themselves.  And at $24/person/night (non HI members) it's a steal.  I'm very tempted taking a weekday off work, still get there on a snowy day, and just be alone - no hiking, just a glass of wine and a book.





Crowsnest and Fernie Areas: Mount Fernie Provincial Park | Forestry Trunk Road

Lots of new hiking opportunities here.  I'm also intrigued by random camping along the Forestry Trunk Road - take off on a Thursday night after work, and then decide how long to stay.  No camping reservations, just pick a spot and stay as long as one feels like.

Jasper West: Mount Robson | Wells Gray

It's been at least a decade since I've been to this area and the only time I was at Wells Gray Provincial Park I was 12 years old.  I wanto to explore a bit around Murtle Lake.

Potential night spots in teh area include Blue River Campground.


The Bugaboos: Conrad Kain Hut

Love the Spires, and haven't visited this area since I've gone quadding up to the lodge a number of years ago.  Now it's time to hike it.



 And More - ACC huts, hostels, camping cabins, ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park