Sunday, November 25, 2012

Light Touring: Chester Lake & Elephant Rocks

I had been longing for a mountain day for weeks (where is everybody???), so posted an event to get back on the light touring skis.  The day could not have been better.  It was a really great group and we were greeted by loads of fresh snow, had enough of a track to not fully break trail, but did get the pristine environment.  The meadows were a winter wonderland with snow pillow after snow pillow after snow pillow.

Chester Lake is an outing I've been steerig away from, other than when it involves getting to or from somewhere else.  It's just so busy in summer and as one of the most popular snowshoe trails in Kananaskis, tho winter crowds didn't appeal to me either.  But for light touring - wow!  The trail now separates snowshoers and skiers, so you don't even see the others until you're up at the meadows.  There were only two other ski groups all day, which meant we basically had the trail to ourselves.  No skiers had gone up to the Elephant Rocks the way we did, so we were breaking trail there.  It was stunning - snow like you normally don't see well into winter, it was warm, and the skiing was absolutely perfect.  There wasn't the slightest bit of icy trail anywhere, nor the slightest bit of slush.  Our skins served us well, and on the way down half of us braved taking those off. 

Last year I got the Fischer BCX99 skis, which I've read in reviews are very fast.  I had only taken them into Skoki for three days last winter, did find them incredibly fast, but brushed it off due to the icy snow conditions on that trip.  Well, yesterday's perfect snow confirmed that these skis are indeed fast. So fast that I'm going to have to look into wax solutions or something to try and slow them down a bit (Is it the new ht wax on them that makes them so fast? Are they supposed to be like that? Do I need more base binder?).  On the downhill I didn't have to kick once - trees just kept whizzing by.  They're perfect for gentle, rolling terrain (heck, I can keep going without doing anything), but can actually become borderline terrifying on magnificent descents.  They freaked me out on Deception Pass due to their sheer speed, so that may be an issue on trails with lots of trees around. 

So, in the meantime, the question is where can I take these on gentler terrain, going through fresh snow, without the bigger (for skiing) elevation gains?







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do so love this area. In the early days it was a means to get to the Fortress, then it became such a wonderful place to long linger as well... Time to go back soon...

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park