Finally the end is in sight. The past two months have been extremely busy at
work, but rewarding at the same time. I'm proud to have made it through challenging weeks, and with my boss finally coming back, I'm anticipating more regular hours starting next week. Part of me seems to thrive off of those adrenaline rushes when everything's a go-go-go and you can make all the decisions, but part of me is beat, exhausted, drained. Last week I actually kept track: 916 work e-mails in five days, and all except a dozen or so needed acting upon. In the end I came home and deleted all my personal e-mails at home that I haven't gotten around to answering. I'm not ignoring anyone, but there's only so much I can do. Time to start with a clean slate so that I'll be able to keep on top of my own stuff again.
What I am beating myself up for going with it and giving up my
mountain Saturdays. I've missed those, but have just been too tired when I get home that I couldn't do the early carpools. In the dark. Maybe now I'll be able to plan half a week ahead at least. The weather's getting better, today was gorgeously sunny, so I need to be out there - in the mountains.
For this
long weekend I decided to pursue different things and to give myself
a full day to wind down. Thursday evening I went
climbing with a couple of friends. We stuck to the easier routes and I did nothing more than a 5.8, trying to keep my knee in better shape than the week before. It was fun and simple. No planning was involved and I've been enjoying that.
The Stronghold
Friday evening I went for a
massage. Ah, what bliss. Apart from my knee flaring up from climbing, I've had some issues around my left iliolumbar ligament. I could feel it a couple of days when I did the West Coast Trail, just attributed it to a heavy pack as the pain quickly went away, but it has been back full force for the past couple of weeks. Not surprising to me, C. had me figured out again, telling me that I haven't been relaxed because my back is more tense than a stockbroker's. Can't say that I'd know a thing about other people's backs. Even my legs were that way now, so I need to relaaaaaax. She even sent me packing with a bag of epsom salt.
Bliss (but this isn't the place I go to)
Today was my start to the weekend and I had planned on going to
Level 1 Yoga at 9:15am. Well, my alarm clock went off, the bed was nice and warm while outside we've had one of the coldest days of this winter. I checked the studio's online calendar, saw that there's another class later, so hit snooze and decided to go for the 11:00am
Restorative Yoga instead. It was nice to sleep until 8:30 (8 full hours!), make breakfast, and actually eat sitting down without being rushed. Those simple pleasures. The last time I did that was in Tofino. I was going to meet a friend after yoga, so packed my outdoorsy gear so that we could get an easy snowshoe in. Then I get into my car and the battery is dead. I never drive with just the automatic lights and instead have all lights on full all the time, so have to admit that I tend to call AMA once or twice a year. Disappointed that I'd miss yoga, I decided to take things into my own hands and try that trick that the AMA guy showed me last time. Apparently it works for cars that have automatic everything where a manual resets can at least get you going. Lo and behold, 30 second later my car was running. I was happy! Yoga was relaxing, lunch was good, and the afternoon nice and cool.
Viparita Karani - feels like learning a new language
Now it's only 6:40 and I actually have a free evening. I've been reading a great book -
Light on Life - that is unbelievably well-written and touches on key things/philosophies/whatever that I've been drawn to for some time - including
nature. Will have to post more on that some other time. In the meantime, back at it - mountain activities, and hopefully keeping this blog more updated.
No comments:
Post a Comment