Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Food and Yin

I had fallen off the wagon with my eating habits for a while; a long while - since going to Tofino.  How I miss that place - the ocean, the waves, the sea anemones, the rainforest, and sounds of float planes in the distance.  But back to the eating. The scale reflects my bad habits (not in the pretty way) and I seem more prone to this pressure in my head again.  It's time to kick it in the butt, so today was Day 1 (again) of eating healthier: no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, focus on alkaline foods, and eat foods low on the glycemic index.  It's been overwhelming ever since my doctor gave me that list, so that I don't get too harsh on myself, I do allow myself to have the odd piece of bread, cheese, or glass of milk.  Right now I'm focusing on establishing good habits.  For good habits I'm also on Day 2 of leaving the office by 6pm.

Thanks to myself having cooked last night and planning my meals for the next two days (I'd much rather be planning an adventure!), I missed Monday night yoga and wasn't impressed with myself.  Today's class was too tight for me to get to after work, so I tried a different one - Yin Yoga.  I ran into a fellow hiker and photographer there so we caught up.  I was expecting this class to be the practise was mostly floor-based, I was pleasantly surprised to learn a few new poses - more challenging ones too.  This class has music as well, so I was transported to some far-off Asian place.  Bliss.  And I've never felt this much like a pretzel.  I had no idea that my body could do some of those things, but when you get the right sequences to get into a pose, you can turn into, well, a pretzel. 

Yoga is like learning a new language. This was
halasana.  Plow in English.
 
 
 
Cat's tail.  Touch right foot with left hand (but keep the
arm and leg straight), and left foot with right arm.  Hip 
remains perpendicular to the floor - don't let it roll forward.
Head straight up or behind you - front would be too easy :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park