There's something about the ski trips that take you to a backcountry lodge, for they sure seem to have picked the magical spots. I needed a big day out, and with 20-30cm of fresh snow, perfect blue sky and sun, this was a perfect day for it. We started in a chilly -20ºC, but which was actually very comfortable while moving; even so much so that we delayered.
A pleasant surprise was the fact that Healy Creek Trail had been freshly groomed and single trackset. This made for a very quick first 1.9km. Brewster Creek hadn't been visited by anyone since the last dump of snow, so we broke trail, but which was pretty effortless on the skis. The creek was still flowing and looked magical with the fresh snow. It was so quiet, so relaxing.
Once at the lodge, we spread out on the benches and comfy chairs. So beautiful to be sitting in the sun, but after half an hour we made our way back as it was just too cold. A few of us decided to take the 'shortcut' back, but which was anything but. Sure, it was signed so is an official trail, but it gave us our dose of 'excitement' with more ups and dows, switchbacks, mini ski jumps, hidden rocks, and trees across the trail. I was tired by the time we finished, and although I'm not a fan of water, I was really wishing that I had a bathing suit to stop by the hot springs.
I have great memories of the day, but unfortunately no photos to show. Some voice in my head told me not to take my SLR, so I packed my old Canon G10. And I think at the end I set it down on the roof and drove off. I noticed by the time I passed Banff, so went back to look, but no luck. Hopefully one of my postings in the outhouse, on the trailhead sign, SkierBob, Clubtread, Kijiji, or Craigslist will get answered. I'd love to see the photos. The one below is an image by Sundance Lodge, and the rest is info extracted from the GPS.





No comments:
Post a Comment