Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pipestone

I was in need of another mountain day, but as it had been a very long week, I was also in need of some sleep.  I decided to not beat myself up over it and have a normal (i.e., no super early) start.  After all, when skiing one covers more distance in less time.  I got in some zzzzzzzs and had a nice, leisurely ski around the outer Pipestone Loop.  It was a treat to have the trail all to myself, seeing not a single skier along the way.  And much to my surprise, at 0ºC the temperature as warmer than foreast. I was in a t-shirt the entire way - no mitts, no toque, and no toe warmers. After a year of dealing with waxing skis, I think I finally have that trick down for I've been getting amazing grip. The other weeks it made me happy to be cruising along happier than those frustrated with poor grip on skis and I normally don't pass people.  Or maybe - just maybe - my technique is improving.  The beasty skis, though, are a whole other story and I need to get a couple of simple touring outings in to work on that.

Typical trail on the Pipestone Loop

Lots of debris - yummy resin to get stuck on the skis,
but I do like the smell of my citron base cleaner

Turn-off to Skoki

Views at last

Temple in all its glory

After my easy ski I went up to the Chateau to see the ice carving competition in progress.  Sure, it was touristy, but what I enjoyed the most was the magical light as the sun began to set beyond Mount Victoria, up near Abbot Pass.

Ice Festival

 



Classic Canadiana

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park