Monday, September 5, 2011

Bow Peak

The weather forecast for the long weekend was outstanding and I still have summit fever, so I headed for Bow Peak.  This would be a bit different for me as I had company to Crowfoot Pass, but did a solo summit.  Although Bow Peak is in a hiking book, the ascent up from the pass seemed to clearly be a scramble - unless I was way off track.  I headed up closer to the left side over lots and lots (and lots!) of boulders.  Further up thyey grew larger and looser, so I headed further right.  The gully seems to be the best way to take up and down.  Overall it was an overwhelming day - overwhelming in that it offered more than I ever imagined: lush vegetation, incredible reflections, bears, meadows, 11 creek crossings, about 41 large logs to climb over, and of course a summit high.  I had to have a moment up there, but gaining the ridge and having the mountain all to oneself was an amazing experience.

Bow Lake

Water crossing at Bow Lake

Lush vegetation

Lush vegetation

Big mushroom

First tarn below Crowfoot Pass

Second tarn below Crowfoot Pass

Crowfoot Pass looking north towards Cirque Peak

Crowfoot Pass looking south

Typical rubble

Looking north
Looking east

Looking south

Descent gully

Bow Peak

Many mossy creeklets

Looking back up at the peak

Leaving tracks

Flowers

Trees to climb over

More flowers

The end of a satisfying day

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park