Ever since I was a kid I've had some fear of water. I think much of it began when around age 6 or so a swimming instructor wanted to make me jump off a 1m high block. Then in junior high I had a swimming instructor who made us stay under water for a full minute. I hated it, and have chosen to forget about water activities ever since then. Back in 2004 I went canoeing on the Glenmore Reservoir, and while I made it (wobbly thing!), all that green stuff that one could see below didn't look too appealing - just in case I fell in. Around 2003-2007 I also took several trips to New York, where at one point I had decided to take a day-long sailing trip from Long Island. Timing didn't work out and I always wondered what it would be like. Lo and behold, an opportunity presented itself and I was invited to go sailing on the Glenmore Reservoir. Never would I have thought that I'd get to sail right in town, but it was an amazing experience.
This evening we headed out in sunny skies and a nice lighter wind (which I was happy with because I didn't want the thing to tip over). We sailed all the way to Weaselhead, then back as dark clouds were appoaching. A couple of times we were quite low down on a side, I got to take the heel (I think that's what it was called), and 'about' the sail (putting it on the other tack). I learned that one has the right of way when the wind comes from the right (starboard side), and the guy on the left (port side) better adjust his course in that case. We ran into A. with his yellow sailboat, had a few practice docks, and I steered toward the windmill - all within the city on a weeknight.
Thank you to P. for an introdcution to sailing! He said that's what "kindred spirits" do.







No comments:
Post a Comment