Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cascade Mountain

A few days ago a friend e-mailed me asking if I had a mountain planned for the weekend.  I was craving something big after the high from Abbot Pass, and he was craving a big one as well.  Probably ten different mountains got thrown around for suggestions, and after our analysis we settled on Cascade Mountain - because it's an easy drive.  That sounded good to me, and as Friday night was a gorgeous summer evening, I drove out to Canmore to spend the night there. 

Cascade surprised us - in good ways!  It really wasn't what we had expected, which was loads of rubble, a major slog and lots of route-finding.  Instead there was a distinct path most of the way, and varied scrambling made it fun all the way up.  There were the boulders to the first summit, the crux of a slope (with exposure and a nice drop down the side) while skirting around the false summit, and more scree towards the actual summit.  We were blown away, and as it was a clear day, +20ºC up there and no wind, we spent an hour at the summit.  Due to a slowpoke (me) and another person slightly injured, this ended up being a 12 hour day.  I think we were back at the Amphitheatre around 7pm, and back to the cars at exactly 9pm.  Who'd have thought that this one would take us longer than Temple?  But what a rewarding day!  I think have comfortably graduated to the Kane moderates.  Which one's next?









2 comments:

DSD said...

Congratulations! A wonderful elusive mountain! One of my first from long before Kane's book was published. We had a chuckle about that when I got him to sign a copy when they first came out. We debated back then as to why Windtower was not included. :)
You are having such wonderful adventures!
DSD

- B. said...

Thank you, DSD. Even though I didn't have much planned for this summer (mostly due to a late season), I'm finding that I've ventured to places that a year ago I hadn't even dreamed of. We're so lucky to be so close to the mountains. A year ago I was privileged to hike with someone who had just finished all of Kane's scrambles. He helped her complete the last few, and she is now bagging the 11,000ers of the Canadian Rockies.

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park