But, imagine my surprise when I (finally) realized that one of the most famous images of these great arches - the one of Mesa Arch below - is an HDR image. Good thing I've been trying to teach myself that this week, and yesterday just got down the bracketing. Tomorrow will be my first attempt at an HDR outdoor scene. So, with this famous Mesa Arch sunrise, you would normally get the great rising sun, but that would blow any detail in the arch. Or you can get a nice shot of the arch, but have a blown sun. Or you can try HDR, which allows you to see things as was never before possible (if I ever figure out the delicate art of it). As I like vivid colours, I think I'm naturally drawn to some of the 'good' HDR landscapes out there. My criteria is that it has to look natural; I don't like the overdone sci-fi look. But really, with red arches and blue sky, maybe some twinkling lights at night, I see big potential.
Mesa Arch above and some other HDR landscapes below. If you want to see a non-HDR Mesa Arch with the morning congregation of photographers, go here.
So, do these images look authentic or fake?
I've also had great evenings reading in bed this week, all thanks to P. having cleaned out issues of Outdoor Photographer and National Geographic. It's made me a little late for work twice (because I was awake too late :-) ), but I was fascinated by seeing red arches in there, reading about astrophotography after having been to some astronomy presentations last week, and just getting more and more photo ideas. I think tonight will be a very late night ... magazines, wine, then steak for my home-made holiday Friday brunch. Tomorrow will have to be a day for errands, getting work clothes, working on my performance review (no fun), and ... trying HDR. Hopefully the sky will cooperate.




1 comment:
How real is this Mesa Arch sunrise photo? I guess mine will look nothing at all what-so-ever like this one! As long as I see it, that's my goal! I hope stars are out while there and you can get a star trail picture!
Post a Comment