Monday, December 20, 2010

Inspired

Last night was a turning point.  Just a few days after a friend sent an album of all the places she visited this year (which, I might add, range across the globe and encompass all kinds of experiences), I've decided that it's time to start seeing things again.  In the 1990's most of my travels were to Europe, while in the early- to mid 2000's I travelled mostly travels to big cities in the US.  2007 marked the start of more outdoorsy adventures, which was followed by a trip to Utah in 2008, and exploring the Rockies in 2009.  This year I fell off the wagon while dealing with other challenges, but it's now time to hop back on.  I have made it a goal to take two bigger trips each year - one in summer, and one in winter.

First up: 10 days of Colorado and Utah.  Originally I had intended this to be a very slow-paced vacation - the type where you spend 3 days at the same destination and just read a book in the sun.  However, there are so many places to see that I am now excited to explore, live healthy, and rise early.  I'll be starting in Boulder, visiting Rocky Mountain National Park, heading up Pikes Peak, walking through the great sand dunes, heading up the Million Dollar Highway, taking a gondola in Telluride, and heading on to Moab.  In the Moab area I am going to try for some new things: I will make it a mission to take up indoor climbing again come January, so that by May I might have a chance at heading up one of the Fisher Towers.  I will rappel into a canyon, get up before sunrise to get that elusive shot, and perhaps spend a night camped out in the desert of Monument Valley, with nothing but vast openness around.  Throw in some star trail photography, cool rocks, and top scenery, and it should give me some time to revive, to feel alive again.  I can't wait!

Inbetween my goal of two yearly trips I have decided to at least take a weekend getaway closer to home every couple of months.  It's time to cut the stress and to enjoy what is around us.






These are some of my favourite photos from my 2008 trip to the Moab area.  Clockwise from top left: Sand Dune Arch, Devil's Garden, Sand Dune Arch again, and old dwelling near Pritchett Canyon/Moab Rim Trailhead.


  

1 comment:

DSD said...

Inspired indeed!
A 'breathing in' of wonderful possibilities...
There is truly an energy in doing this...
2011 is going to be an adventurous year for you.
DSD

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park