Thursday, August 19, 2010

Time to indulge

I had a great sleep last night.  Read a little before going to bed, let my mind wander, and was asleep at a decent hour (before midnight).  Then I woke up at yet another decent hour, feeling all awake and full of energy.  I was even up and ready to go before hospital visiting hours started, so I took a drive up to the bluff to look at that house.  I've been watching it on MLS for the last little while.  It looks so quaint - full of character - and even though it would need fixing up (it's almost a hundred years old), it has a great location (though I'd prefer further west), garage, a yard, and would give me room for outdoor gear storage.  I'm itching for a change, but realistically probably wouldn't look into getting a house until next year.  Still, I like this one.


In the afternoon I indulged in a nice long massage at Apex.  That place is so relaxing from the second you walk in.  I also like it because you get same-day appointments, and the woman I had, CW, was excellent.  Even though at times it was a little painful, it feels like a lot of tension has melted away.  Now I'm trying to decide what I should do tomorrow to stay relaxed.  Maybe head out near Bragg Creek or Big Hill Springs?

My mom did really well overnight and this morning.  This afternoon she was in pain as painkillers wore off, but more morphine resolved that.  She went for 5 walks around the unit, which is great for day one post-op.  They're saying that she can go home on Saturday or Sunday if and only if she can manage to pass gas by then.  Topics like that are so normal at the hospital.  She ended up getting a private room, but her roomate from last night, who had the same surgery a day earlier, stopped by this evening and they wished eachother well - in passing gas soon.

Meanwhile K., one of the nurses, has been teaching me a few little things.  Today was figuring out all those inflatable things around your legs and how they connect to all the machines.  In the next day or two I'll learn how to give my mom shots as she'll need them daily for the next four weeks to prevent blood clots.  Apparently a couple of the doctors have been inquiring about me as well because they figured I work in healthcare.  Not really, but I guess I do get my hospital fix at work.

So, now it's only 9:30pm and I've basically done everything I need to do.  Got a whole couple of hours of just relaxing.  This sure feels different, but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park