Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Everest Base Camp

I first started thinking about Everest Base Camp in the fall of 2008. By that time I was more serious about doing things in the mountains every week, and was looking for more of a challenge. While originally I couldn't wait to go, I've since figured that I should try some higher elevation hikes and scrambles in Colorado before traveling across the world for it. The trek seems almost like it would be a bit of a spiritual journey. There you are, following in the footsteps of the world's great climbers, surrounded by the greatest peaks.

Currently, Jamie Clarke is in the midst of his summit push. I've been following his blogs for the last few of months - first of him training by heading up Rundle and other local spots, training at Pumori last fall, and now climbing at Everest. Earlier today he got back into Base Camp from Camp III. A couple of days ago, one of his buddies posted this:

Hi everyone, Jamie's bud George here. I just got off the sat phone with Jamie. He is doing well, he has spent a few days at Camp II and is on his way to Camp III now...at around 23,000 feet. He was having some technology issues at Camp II. His laptop was actually frozen solid! So now he is having content sent down the mountain on a memory stick to keep the content rolling for all you guys. Crazy that I can actually get on the phone with him on the other side of the world.


It's amazing what technology can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park