Saturday, September 15, 2012

Iceberg Lake

Caldron Lake has eluded me for three summers now.  A couple of weeks ago I had planned on making it there, but ended up working.  Last week at least I got to see it from Observation Peak, so I felt a bit more 'satisfied', at least having seen it from a distance.  Still, I wanted to get to one of these lakes tucked away below the Wapta.  After having been up Observation Peak and seeing a photographer's photos of taking an inflatable kayak to Iceberg Lake, that one would become my next destination.  I was ready to just hike up it on my own as I couldn't be bothered trying to recruit people, but got lucky and someone else posted it.  It's been an awfully long week and there'd be no hope for me getting up very early yet again, so I left the city a little bit early and splurged by staying at the hostel in Lake Louise.  It was an absolutely perfect evening; I sat by the shore of Lake Louise, I enjoyed a nice dinner and being able to sit down for a meal (a real luxury these days), watched the sunset at Herbert Lake, had marshmallows around a campfire, and met some amazing people.  The hike was short, but made for a relaxing weekend.

Herbert Lake

Iceberg Lake
 
Iceberg Lake

Glacier above Iceberg Lake

Descending from Iceberg Lake
 
Trees with clouds

Trees with clouds
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've past wondered about the mystery above the falls. Now I'm gathering up such wonderful trip reports for when I do get to wander up there.
DSD

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park