Every year I love that first snow in the mountains. The mornings are crisp, it's quiet, and the colours are beginning to change. We arrived in Lake Louise in sun, but five minutes later had hail, then thunder, then the first snowflakes, and after seeing numerous groups abandon their hikes or turn around a good portion into the trail, we were greeted with sun and moody clouds. Throw in a few rainbows, more snow, more sun, and then a bit more snow, and it made for a beautiful fall-type day.
In the past I always preferred the summers, but really enjoy the fall for hiking. And this year - with the two pairs of skis waiting to get dusted off - I am actually excited to be getting snow. I can't wait to hit the groomed trails at Peter Lougheed, and I can't wait to hit the fresh powder more backcountry. I'll be curious to see if I'm improving at all at this skiing business. Today was a turning point for hiking as Paradise Valley & Giant Steps, at 21km & 710m total elevation gain, felt like a walk in the park. I was actually at the front of the group - a rarity - and was told to slow down, while others felt the day's hike was too fast. And yet the day pack felt so light, the trail was so defined, nothing slippery, nothing muddy, just a good trail to keep plowing ahead. Maybe that big pack from the West Coast Trail helped me out in that regard.
I am so itching for another big day out, or even a night in the tent, but had to abandon my remaining weekend plans for work. Will have to see about that, as I don't want to start compromising these adventures out and about.





No comments:
Post a Comment