Friday, July 15, 2011

The MEC Spree

I don't think I've gone on a big shopping spree at MEC in a couple of years, but now that I'm back into big day trips and have a couple of backpacking tripss lined up as well, it was time to supplement some gear.

My sole purpose for heading there today was to look for a new hiking boot.  After four years of wearing nothing but Asolo Styngers for hikes, I find that the shoes have been letting me down.  My first pair lasted 1,000km, but the second pair (an identical pair), was worn through in half that (and I clean my boots after evey hike).  The soles aren't grippy enough, so as much as I loved those boots - they were super comfy and never needed any breaking in - it was time to look for something new.  I'll be the first to admit that I can be seduced by a nice-looking boot.  Even if one were right for me, if I didn't like the colour of it, I simply wouldn't buy it.  So, naturally, I thought I'd be drifting towards Scarpa, because really, the Kailash is one nice-looking boot.  It was, however, too narrow for me, so a boot that was on the shelf next to it and looked eerily similar, would become my final pick: the Oboz Wind River.  I had never even heard of Oboz, so was a little skeptical, but after reading reviews on the boot this week, it seems that people are very happy: good grip, waterproof, and fit is a little wider than others.  Plues, for every pair of boots sold, one tree is planted.  Looks like their philosophy is similar to MEC's as well.  I got the Superfeet Berry Insoles to go with them as I always need insoles on hiking boots.  Now, do I break these in the first time tomorrow on a 26km+ hike or next week on a three-day backpack?



Next on my list was a pillow case stuff sack.  I find that on the overnight trips it's the little comforts that make a big difference.  I figured as I'm hauling clothes and whatnot anyways, a pillow case will be a light and easy solution to have something nice under my head.  But as I was browsing these at MEC, another item, which I already drooled over on their website, caught my eye: the Thermarest Pillow, which is stuffed with Thermarest scraps from the sleeping pads and bum seats.  The one that was on display looked nice and cushy, so I took one out of its pouch and saw it grow and grow.  Oh-so-soft, big, and fluffy.  I was sold.  I figured by staying at huts when I don't need the sleeping pad, this can easily take its place at 242g. 



And it was also time for another travel towel.  I have been using an Adventure Towel so far, and thought I would supplement that with another small version that can serve as a separate face or dish cloth.  It seems that MEC doesn't carry those anymore, so I opted for the Innate towel.  It feels nice because it has a cotton-y feel to it even though it's polyester.  All recycled materials.


After that it was off to Shopper's where  I stocked up on a 15-pack of wet wipes (because really that's all the washing that happens on a short backpack), a Charmin travel toilet paper rool (55 single-ply sheets... will have to test to see how long they actually last), and a 17g deodorant stick. 


2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Not only is the Oboz Wind River a nice looking boot but I'm sure after yesterday's 26km trek, you will give the boots a great review too!

- B. said...

I think any boot that lets your feet survive a 26km hike as the first outing is a keeper. I especially love the big soles and grip on these ones.

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park