Thursday, May 17, 2012

Healthy Choices

A couple of months ago I went for a lab test that was sent to the States, in an effort to get more clues as to why I randomly faint.  Also around that time I started taking other supplements (very specific forms fish oils, B vitamins, etc.) and cutting down on caffeine.  That has felt like a great start for I haven't blacked out since early February and the pressure in my head has gotten much less.

Yesterday I finally got the results from that lab test.  Results were mostly good (according to hormones I am in the top percentiles for longevity, and I do seem to have a 'perfect' ability for dealing with stress [even though it sure doesn't feel that way to me]).  A couple of areas will need some concentrated effor though:

My 2/16 estrogen ratio is too low, which means that even though I lucked out a year ago by not having the BRCA 1 mutation, I am still at high risk for breast cancer.  What I put into my body can shift that ratio within 6-12 months, so that means primrose oil (likely forever), some supplement that does something good for methylation (how our bodies detoxify), as well as some other easy-to-pop things.  It was actually this ratio that I was concerned about, and while I got the worse scenario there, ironically this isn't the one that concerns me know as this can shift over time.

The item that will be much more challenging to deal with is the PCOS and insulin resistance. I'm not going to get into the details (mainly because I'mf eeling overwhelmed by all the info I've been given), but I basically need to cut out all gluten, dairy, and sugars.  In going through my kitchen, it seems that everything contains one of those.  Raw vegetables are allowed, as are nuts, but I'm still at a loss at what to really start buying - and get some variety - to meet a low glycemic index while being gluten free

So, amidst all the pages of 'rules', I've decided I can't go from eating the way I have been with the schedule I have to cram food into.  My next follow-up is in three weeks, and no matter what they say, I've decided to break this into manageable pieces, something like this:

Week 1: Increase vegetable intake, select fruit that are allowed, and look for lower GI foods.  Keep minimum amount of dairy for now, don't stress too much about gluten-free as more veggies should begin to decrease intake of bread, rice, etc.

Week 2: Cut out more of the gluten and dairy.

Week 3: Look at introducing other foods that are currently on my 'don't like' list.

Repeat to week 12 when things are being re-assessed.  Please, bloodwork, go in the right direction :-).  If I can keep it up (and I have to!), I should see the fainting go away, energy levels increase, possibly a chance of being able to have kids, and maybe even the loss of some inches as an added bonus. 

Anyone know if there's gluten-free low GI chocolate?  What are the best places for even buying food like this (without breaking the bank at Community Natural Foods?).  What 'regular' stores have special sections?

Lots of questions, which again is why I need to ease into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park