Sunday, March 25, 2012

Meaningful Adventures

Something happened this weekend.  I don't know exactly what it is, but it may have been a turning point in deciding which adventures to go on.  Years ago I'd have gone for big city trips, but now I yearn for something more.  I long for adventures out there, getting away from it all, and learning - about life, myself, what else is out there, the mountains, the flower, the skies.

After having itched to get out, I went on a solo ski yesterday.  It was perfect.  It was warm, I didn't need a jacket, nor toque, nor mitts, and miraculously the blue wax on the skis gave me great grip.  I didn't head out with an intended route; I just went.  The snow was perfect, and although I was on what typically is a busy trail, I was alone.  I loved just being out there, with the warm sun on my face, skiing along and just 'being'.

Then this afternoon is when I saw more pieces fall into place.  On my way back to the city, I decided to stop at the Outdoor Adventure & Travel Show.  Of course there were the typical exhibitors - hotels that want to lure you in, guiding services who just want to sell you something - but there was more.  I spoke for quite some time to T. from Yamnuska.  For three years now I've dreamed of taking their Intro to Mountaineering course, so we spoke about that.  She helped me make the decision to go for the women's version of the course, as the group size is only six people, so much more personal attention.  I thought this would for sure become my highlight trip of the year until, half an hour later, I came across the booth for Outward Bound.

There, I spoke to J. for some time - not just about courses they offer, but what those adventures mean.  Many of their trips allow people who find themselves at some crossroads to learn what to pursue next.  The one that intrigues me the most, Mindfulness in the Mountains, is one week.  It sounds like each of their courses also has a solo component where one spends a night alone in the wilderness, to think, to learn, to discover.  To be in tune with nature, and be disconnected from the rest.  To just be.  That sounds just about perfect!

Ideally I'd love to take both of those courses, but the sections I'm most interested in run within a week of one another and I just can't take that much time off at once.  So, what to pick?  Right now Yamnuska's dropping a bit down on the list, though I'm telling myself that I should really do that too - finally.  Either of those courses would get me away for a week, to locations where one is unreachable.  And then I'd love to take a week-long trip to the island, so I have three trips that I really want to go on, yet only time for one this summer.  Outward Bound offers a West Coast Trail version as well at the end of September... So, so tempting.  Maybe I should quit my job and take a few months, to really disconnect, get away from the rat race, and take some time for myself.  





2 comments:

DSD said...

Wonderful! To contemplate so, to be inspired in these ways, to see paths and journeys literally appearing before us... Mountaineering, Mindfulness, and a West Coast adventure. Wonderful options!
Whatever you choose, will then choose you...
D

Unknown said...

Hi B,
My own post today was inspired by your ponderings here, especially about the 'meaning of our adventures...'. A very deep question, that invited me to search out a favorite quote, and then to muse about the meanings it has held out, this time of year, and when I have been questing for meaning as well...
I hope you have a better week, and take those moments, to chooose what you need...
D

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park