Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Great Divide

It has probably been about 20 years since I last traveled that stretch of the old 1A highway from Lake Louise to Yoho.  Since it was closed to traffic in 1999, there was no way in unless you bike or ski it.  I never got around to biking it in the summer, so made it a mission to ski that stretch.  Most people go in from the Lake Louise side and turn around at the Great Divide.  A friend suggested making a longer outing out of it, and continuing all the way to the Lake O'Hara parking lot in Yoho.  Great idea, I thought, but I don't like uphills on the way back.  So, we turned it into an event in reverse: ski from Lake O'Hara up the Great Divide, but also add on a side trip to ski across Lake Louise.  30km, 400m of elevation, and 6 hours later, I was feeling done for the day.  My GPS tells me I burned 1,920 calories, but those were quickly offset by a Drake burger.  Amazingly enough, I feel no sore muscles today, so itching to get out for the next one.





A few spots jumped, so probably
closer to 400m total elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park