Sunday, November 20, 2011

49 Hours at Elk Lakes

I needed a break, so I wanted to escape for a weekend.  Having the Friday off allowed me to spend two nights at Elk Lakes Cabin.

Friday was an adventure greater than I had bargained for.  Reports said little snow; that was an understatement.  When we pulled into the parking lot, not a single track went up the trail.  We'd be breaking trail, but we also planned on taking the shortest route to the cabin.  But, the shortest isn't necessarily the easiest and fastest.  Breaking trail into West Elk Pass was painful - deep snow, but still bushes sticking out.  In the span of about an hour-and-a-half, we covered maybe 1km.  It was 3:20pm and we were half-way there.  With less than two hours of daylight left I didn't like this, so suggested we backtrack to the main trail and take the Hydroline in to the hut.  It would be further, but safer as we knew two skiers had gone in to the hut that way.  We'd follow their tracks, but not arrive until after dark.  At the end, we could have been within 50m of the hut and not even know it; it was pitch black out there.  I wore my headlamp for some contrast in the snow as I was stumbling around a bit otherwise.  The cabin was such a welcome retreat after a day of snowshoeing through frigid temperatures with a 41 pound pack.

This sign was a welcome sight after snowshoesing through the dark...

... and any bed would have felt comfortable by then.

Saturday's original plan was ambitious: head to Petain Falls.  We had two obstacles that day: frigid temperatures that wouldn't have let us stay outside all day, and myself having an injured leg/hip/potential hernia/potential appendicitis.  I didn't know what it was, but was barely able to move my right leg.  The Viewpoint would be our day's destination, though we turned around to opt for baking cinnamon rolls at the cabin - that was until yours truly broke the last portion of the knob off the oven.  I didn't want to turn it on with pliers and risk not being able to turn it off as that would force us to shut off the main propane valve.  Instead I tried 'baking' cinnamon rolls first on a pan set over a boiling pot of water, then on a hot lid, and eventually on the wood stove.  The latter worked the best, though it still left the cinnamon rolls doughey after a few hours.  Instead, they provided us a nice aroma.

Lower Elk Lake

Lower Elk Lake

Around Lower Elk Lake

Elk Lakes Cabin

Living area

Living area

Sleeping loft

Living area and kitchen

Kitchen

Today's snowshoe out from the cabin was very pleasant: early start to the day, sunny, and we made good time.  We felt like we achieved something this weekend and spending 49 hours away has actually felt like a much longer vacation.  I think I'll be turning this one into an annual tradition - just maybe next year head out in October instead.

Mount Fox

Hydroline between cabin and Elk Pass

Hydroline between cabin and Elk Pass

2 comments:

DSD said...

Gifts from within frustrations, presents from the challenges too, what was an unknown journey now becomes a looked forward to tradition... Wonderful post, hope you are better also, and that the little Muse you shared out there will bring a smile to a fellow adventurers face...
D

- B. said...

Thanks for your wisdom and insight as usual, DSD. We ran into a party of four at PLPP today who were on their way into the hut, so I suspect that at the latest today someone will get to enjoy the muse.

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park