Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lake O'Hara

Back when I first visted Lake O'Hara in 2009 I didn't think I'd be back. It was beautiful, but it almost seemed a little fake - not very wild and everything in a very condensed area - like a storybook.  But, as that first time I had looked up at Abbot Pass I knew that was a place I wanted to visit, so I went up there last August, and then skied into Elizabeth Parker Hut this past winter. I didn't have anything planned, but when the ACC posted that they have openings for the hut due to people not having claimed their reservations which they got through the lottery, I figured I'd try my luck and see if there is a weekend availability this summer.  And sure enough, there was, so I decided to go for a special celebration.  The intent was to relax, to focus on photography.  Once I got there, those plans changed. I had my big backpack loaded, I've been toying with the idea of soloing the West Coast Trail, so I decided to turn it into a test of solo hiking with weight on my back. In the end I did about 25km.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my strategy about booking these huts. Everyone goes on about how hard it is to get into Elizabeth Parker, to go for the lottery, and always expect a full house.  Indeed I suppossedly got the last spot, but in the end there were about 8 of us in the main hut (and the 8 rascals were sent to the adjacent Wiwaxy cabin).  I slept through the night from about 10pm to 6am.  So much for night time photography. I was beat from hiking.

Elizabeth Parker Hut



Hut kitche

The infamous one string guitar


Fancy loo and wood shed

Little lake by the hut


Schäffer Lake

This is what the Parks Canada trail report called winter conditions / snow bound / avalanche danger. I became convinced that they post that to keep crowds away until the trails fully dry up.

McArthur Lake - still didn't feel like there was any sort of avalanche danger from above where I went, but yes, there was snow and I was post-holing in places.


Lake O'Hara

Falls below Lake Oesa

Lake Oesa

Happy belated birthday to the little one

Came across a display of hearts ...

... and relaxed in the sun for 90 minutes. 




Lefroy Lake

Bridge at Lake O'Hara

Looking up towards Wiwaxy

Lake O'Hara Campground

Moraine Lake

Sunset beyond Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Latest Inspiration


Garden of the Gods

Rocky Mountain National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park